Winter Blues

Initially appeared on vox.com 1/2/2009.

I don't claim to be a hardcore runner, but the winter is just cramping my style. Since the start of December, my mileage has already taken a precipitous drop:

It's the snow that gets to me. I don't mind the cold; i just run in three layers (Gianina even got me a mask for when it gets face-numbing). I don't mind the early sunsets either; i picked up a little headlamp from amazon.com that keeps me visible for (i hope) hundreds of feet. The ice isn't too bad; i just tread lightly for a few feet and then i'm off again. No, it's the snow.

I hate the way my feet sink in through six inches of not-quite-frozen snow, and i hate pulling my feet back out with my shoes and socks all moist and clammy. Then i have to slosh my way through the next few miles wondering how soon it'll be before i catch frostbite and my toes fall off. I've tried to run outside a couple of times in the past few weeks, and it's almost been torture.

I guess i'm being wimpy about this. After all, REAL runners run outside through rain or sleet or snow, but like i said - i don't claim to be a hardcore runner.

I wonder if there's special shoes or socks to help me run outside, but i think all the running footwear is geared towards "wicking" the moisture away from your feet. And - for a sport that's supposed to be relatively cheap - i've already spent enough money on gear that i hate to throw any more away for it.

I'm trying hard to get my mileage up to finish a decent 10k in the spring and a half marathon this fall. Unfortunately, until the snow lets up, it's the treadmill for me.

No comments: