Naked in the Gym

Initially appeared on vox.com 9/19/2008.

One thing that really gets to me is how people just walk around the locker room buck naked.

I guess it's ok to be naked for a few seconds while you're changing clothes, but i can't understand: 1. why you can't just put on your briefs/boxers BEFORE taking the towel off (a la changing at the beach), and 2. why you would otherwise want your wang just waving about in plain view.

I can't count the number of times i've been shocked by the sight of some old man strolling casually through between the lockers going to (or heading from) the shower with his towel around his neck and his willy hanging out. I always immediately avert my gaze but often i feel that the image just imprints itself into my brain and i need to gouge my eyes out.

I've never been a jock; truth be told, i've always been more of a nerd. Ergo, i've never really had the chance to hang out in locker rooms with "the guys." But i can safely say that back in school after PE class when me and my classmates were changing into regular clothes - i never EVER caught a glimpse of anyone's johnson.

Is this normal behavior or did we join a gym for flashers? It may be a cultural thing, as back home modesty was a value ingrained since childhood, while this country emphasizes self-confidence and a "mind your own business" attitude.

Whichever it is, i try to keep my eyes to myself.

No comments: