C-Day

Initially appeared on vox.com on 6/3/2010.

So after weeks of anticipation (well, not really - since i was in the Philippines enjoying myself for most of May), i finally had my colonoscopy today.

The main indication was my recent episode of diverticulitis (see my two most recent blog posts), although given a strong family history of colon cancer, the screening angle is also most welcome.

I agree with what most patients say - the prep is indeed the worst part.  Clear liquids only on the day prior to the procedure, four tablets of Dulcolax at 3pm followed by 119g of MiraLax two hours later, and another 119g of Miralax the next morning for good measure - the whole "colon cleanse" is not pleasant.  By the end of the whole process - nothing but clear liquid is coming out of your behind.

HOWEVER, i must admit that it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be.  I guess the whole point to having you take the Dulcolax and MiraLax in the afternoon is so that you can expel most of your bowel contents early in the evening.  The timing of the meds was just right, as my last BM was around 11pm; contrary to my fears, i was not up "pooping all night."  True, you do have be in the immediate vicinity of a vacant bathroom within the next few hours after taking the meds, but there's really no pain - just inconvenience.

Nor was hunger was not as much of an issue, as the copious amounts of fluid i drank up to four hours prior to the procedure kept me full - if not satisfied.  After all, it's hard to be satisfied even with 2 liters worth of Gatorade in your belly when you're watching Man versus Food.  My bad.

The procedure itself was a breeze.  We walked into the doctor's office at around 2pm and got whisked into the waiting area at around 2:15.  At 3pm they wheeled me into the endoscopy room and gave me some Versed.  The next thing i know, it's half and hour later and Gianina is with me in recovery.  Once i'm awake, i go home and have a Baconator.

So for anyone who's been told they need a colonoscopy but have been putting it off because of apprehensions - stop delaying and get yourself scheduled.  There's really nothing to it.

P.S. Results?  Aside from diverticulosis, nothing to report.

No comments: